Friday, July 20, 2007

Accommodation...again

I have spent the last weeks thinking about accommodation. After exchanging some emails with my College and reading many opinions and discussing forums I realised I should consider other options.

Here are my thoughts on college accommodation:

  • Bathroom – 4 people in a house sharing a bathroom is not very nice. From what I heard, some college owned houses have some troubles in having hot water;

  • Kitchen – Often too small and badly equipped. Trying to cook things more complex than toasts can be a problem;

  • People – I’d probably have to share a house with students from other programmes. Will I have anything in common with them?;

  • Rent – To tell you the truth, rents for college accommodation are not that low. For the same rent I can go for private accommodation.

Weighting all these factors I came to the conclusion I’d rather rent a house and share it with some fellow MBAs. At least they will be people I can relate to and of course, the house itself will be much better. Kitchens are often fully equipped and there is always more than one bathroom in a 3 bedroom house.
Even the fact of not being living in college doesn’t change my Cambridge experience as I will be living with other colleagues. Probably, it will be much better because we can invite other colleagues in and have parties or socials diners.

I do believe having a comfortable place to live in is very important. The year will be intensive and hard and being well settled is essential to seize all that Cambridge has to give.

No comments: